Thursday 5 May 2011

Painstaking transformation

'Painstaking transformation' those were the words that started my day.
Nicky Campbell (is it the same without Shelagh Fogarty?) on Radio 5 was interviewing Matthew Syed an Olympic table tennis player about his new book 'Bounce'. Essentially the conversation revolved around the idea that we are not limited by our bodies or minds but by our limits. It is the things that we say that we can't do that we can't do.

Syed's research suggests that there is a 'myth of talent' and a huge power in the application of practice. Saying you can't do something is incredibly destructive and only reinforces your conclusion. The 'power of practice' was cited as the most important factor in ANY success and that many child prodigies have unusual lifestyles that meant they practised a lot from a very young age. Perseverance is the key and a beliefe that effort ALWAYS translates into performance. Nicky Campbell reminded the listeners of Gary Player's quote 'the more I practice the luckier I seem to get'

So this morning was an excellent wake up call for me as I embark upon trying  to become a slightly less rubbish jogger. To complete the circle I also start a 'Disciple' course today. Disciple is a year long practice of daily Bible study and reflection punctuated by weekly meetings, I am doing this with a dozen others and it starts today. I decided to do this some time ago to put a bit more disciplined exercise into my flabby spiritual life. 

Today I am considering going for a run, the first since my half-marathon, but it is cold, raining and I am too busy. I think I need to set out a programme, a timetable or I am concerned that I will never get down to it.


The spiritual journey seems like it is connected to the physical one: Slow, painstaking that sounds like me; transformation? I hope so.

1 comment:

  1. you had better start off as you mean to continue. Get your shorts on and out the door!

    ReplyDelete