Friday 17 January 2014

Thundercats!

Thursday evenings in the Gilborson's currently involve watching Channel 4's second season of 'The undateables'. I do so with an element of trepidation. The premise, on the surface is alarming, for an hour we get to watch several people each week trying to find people to love and people who will love them back, but there is a twist; the people are described by Channel 4 as 'extraordinary'; they either have some form of learning difficulty, physical abnormality, disability or condition that makes forming relationships awkward or have behaviour or looks that make them less socially acceptable and it is here that I struggle on so many levels.

  • I struggle to find the language to use: disability, condition, difficulty, socially acceptable - despite me trying to be careful they are all clumsy words and often say more about me and society than they do about the people I am trying to describe. Might I settle on 'different' but only if I too am 'different'

  • I also struggle with the rationale, we all know TV companies are about making money and in this case - for the channel and their advertisers. Is this programme not taking advantage of vulnerable people and touting them as 21st century circus acts? This would be ghastly and maybe I should switch it off and write to Channel 4 in protest.

  • Finally I struggle with myself; maybe there is a danger with these programmes that they are voyeuristic and 'we' laugh at the difference, complexity and perceived inadequacy of others cheapening them and ourselves.

I might feel that way had I not watched the programme.

But having watched the second episode last night I actually want to applaud the programme makers here because I think those who watch are actually enriched (or at least can be) by the experience. Many of these people (and the way they are and behave) are quite wonderful. Someone described the programme as 'life affirming' and I think I agree.

I hope that my enjoyment of this is a somehow entering into a broader understanding of 'difference, complexity and MY inadequacy' as I engage with others in my 'normal' life. My belief as a Christian, and work as a Christian minister does not make me exempt from stereotyping or being wary or fearful of difference (shame on me but if each of us is honest maybe we would, at times, admit the same). When I laughed at Ruth shouting 'thundercats', and much worse, at people on the street my laughing was not at her, there was something liberating about her 'outbursts'. When I heard Zoe talk to her date, on their first date, about marriage immediately(!) I laughed and covered my face, it was almost shocking yet for Zoe she was totally transparent, totally honest, best of all her date coped admirably well. I smiled at  Holly's question to Daniel last week 'what is your favourite day?' the response was not judgemental nor critical but led to a shared conversation and a connection that was hugely endearing. I could go on.

When I attended the interview for the job at Cranbrook more that 18 months ago I was asked to describe my ministry in one word, I chose 'inclusive', if God wants me in his church then why should he not want anyone else, we are back to the 'bollards' again! 

The name of the programme is actually somewhat of a misnomer, many of the dates went swimmingly the 'undateables' become dateable, the 'unwanted' become wanted, the 'unloveable' become loved, yet they all did so without changing, they all did so just by continuing to be themselves, I am sure there is something 'gospel' here.

Of course you could criticise me and say I am naive, ironically it may well be that naivety, and its inherent opposition to the malaise of post modern cynicism might be the gift that the people in the series offer. Or am I kidding myself?

Watch the clip 'Keen' for yourself and make your own mind up:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-undateables/videos/all/s3-ep1-keen

No comments:

Post a Comment