Saturday 19 January 2013

Be prepared and 'Go for it!'

Yesterday (18th January) I resumed running, only three miles and rather slowly (so what is new there), but actually it felt as though my body slotted back into it rather well, it felt comfortable and I enjoyed it.

I knew I had to start back sometime, I am not sure whether I will ever run another marathon but the idea of running for a couple of hours every now and then is something I can't resist.

Yesterday it was the snow that I couldn't resist, it came down hard and although didn't settle (pitch/stick?) there was an hour or so, just after sunrise when going out in it was irresistible, and I couldn't resist. I wrapped up warm, three layers, long trousers, gloves Sharon bought me, a warm hat and a peaked cap, and sunglasses to keep the snow from driving into my eyes. This worked but I needed to wipe them every few hundred yards so that I could see the path ahead. It was SOOOO cold, the first muddy puddle kicked into my shoes and icy water numbed my feet, literally. The wind on my face was almost excruciating but the taste of the snow was delightful - little pockets of amazing iciness.

And today (19th January) is my welcome service at Cranbrook, all prepared, all ready to go, with several hundred home made cakes made by some amazing local people and at least a couple of hundred people coming (though some of my Bristol family are snow bound). I have already started working and living in Cranbrook but this is a landmark moment to celebrate what God has done and join in with what he is going to do in this new community in the future.

Many people have said how difficult it will be to get the church and community going at Cranbrook in a post -church, post-modern world. I see what they are saying but at this moment I am more excited than worried. As I ran yesterday it felt as if the two things - running in the snow and starting out at Cranbrook, were similar. 'Be prepared and go for it'.  It is amazing how preparation and determination to 'have a go' (and when the going gets tough 'keep on having a go') is often enough to give you just the start you need to enable you to do something you may have first thought impossible.

So that is what I am determined to do - Be prepared and 'Go for it!'

1 comment: